IJsselstein, Saturday, 14 January 2012 22:48:25
The town of Garcia-Hernandez is located along the southern coast of Bohol halfway between the municipalities of Jagna and Valencia. It was formerly a part of Jagna, the western boundary of which used to be Punta Gorda or Balitbiton on the eastern side of Valencia. Because of the distance and the difficulty of transportation at that time, the people of barrio Saub and Sinugbuan found it hard to transact business in the Poblacion of Jagna. For this reason, They petitioned for an independent status for then the prosperous Sinugbuan, now Lungsodaan, as the site of their Poblacion. So, on March 11, 1958, this municipality was organized through the efforts of two priests from the towns of Guindulman and Loay. Out of gratitude to these two priests, the town was named after them, Garcia and Hernandez. The territory of the new town extended from the barrio of Ulbujan to Punta Gonda. The town was made an independent parish by the Bishop of Cebu. In 1879, it had a population of 6,847.
Garcia Hernandez celebrate its town fiesta on the 24th of June in honor of Saint John the Baptist.
Garcia Hernandez Police Station: +63 38 532 5146
Bohol St. John Community Hospital has 12 beds capacity. Dr. Domiciano F. Nazareno - CEO and Dr. Amelia M. Nazareno - Medical Director
|Bohol St. John Community Hospital|
Address: National Highway, Canaya-on, 6307 Garcia Hernandez, Bohol, Philippines
|Garcia-Hernandez at a glance|
|Number of households (2000):||3989|
|Land area:||11684 ha|
|Number of barangays:||30|
|Distance from Tagbilaran:||53 km|
|Barangay||Population (2000)||Households (2000)||Population (2010)||Population (2015)|
(Based on figures from the census of 2000, 2010, and 2015 from PSA)
Jeroen Hellingman and Rodelyn Gallo Hellingman