Japanese Beef Soup
IJsselstein, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 03:24:57
| 1 kg. Beef meat for soup (rib, bones)
|Salt to taste
| 1 large carrot, cut in about 12 pieces
| 1 small onion, cut in 0.4-0.5 cm thick rings
|3 sprigs Parsley
|15-20 black peppercorns
|1/2 thin stalk celery, about 12 cm long (8-10 cm If thick)
|3 bay leaves
|Noodles, cooked (Chinese egg noodles can be substituted)
|2 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- In a large pot put the beef meat, carrot, parsley, peppercorns, celery and bay leaves, add ample water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook slowly for 2-3 hours, adding water as the liquid evaporates. Add salt after 1 hour.
- Cook onion on a griddle until browned on both sides, add to the soup and cook in the last 15-30 minutes of the cooking time.
- When the meat gets tender, take out and slice. Strain the soup and reheat.
- Season with soy sauce and add cooked noodles.
- Place the meat and mashed potato on a plate and serve as a main dish together with the soup.
- Carrot can be put back to the soup, if preferred.
Thanks to Melba Dano Muto for sharing this recipe.