Chicken in Lemon Grass and Chili
IJsselstein, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 03:28:35
|3 lb Chicken
|1 large Onion
|1 tbs granulated Sugar
|1 tbs ground Chillies
|1 cup Water
|4 cloves Garlic
|3 tbs Vegetable oil
|2 tbs minced Lemon grass
|4 tbs Fish sauce
|1 tbs Caramel sauce
|Salt to taste
- Rinse chicken and dry well. Cut into small pieces. Peel garlic and slice finely. Cut onion into halves lengthwise and then cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips.
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt, garlic and onion. Fry over medium heat until onion becomes translucent. Add lemon grass and chili.
- Fry 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned. Add fish sauce, sugar and caramel sauce, mixing well. Add 1 cup water and cook 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary. Serve hot with caramel sauce.
- To prepare caramel sauce: Mix 1/2 c sugar with 4 tablespoons of water in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and let boil until mixture changes color.
- Turn heat down to low and heat until brown. Add 1/2 cup water to mixture. Remove from heat.
Thanks to Yeye Sagusay for sharing this recipe.